Monday, July 16, 2012

Desert Classic: Trip Home

Unlike most It was a very interesting day for us yesterday and this morning.  Yesterday morning, we woke up around 10:15 (California Time) from exhaustion of the night before.  We needed to be out of our hotel by 11am and we had a lot of things to do before then. We got the room cleaned up and packed and headed out the door to get back home to Utah.  Before we started the ride, we went to Panda Express to put food in our stomach for our 11 hour drive home.  After we ate, we decided to say a prayer for us to get home safely.  What I loved is right after Mike said the prayer, we passed an LDS church, on a Sunday.  We hadn't seen one our whole trip so it was comforting to see that right as we started our ride home.

When I come to this comp, I love to see what I like to call, "The Land of the Windmills".  We were all very fascinated by them and of course had to get some pictures.  We were singing in the car until these cute people fell asleep, then Mike and I had to keep ourselves entertained.

About a half hour later they woke and decided it was a real good idea to get some seatbelts on, and thank heavens for the events that were about to take place that we had no idea would be coming.  About 15 minutes after this, we were in Barstow, California.  Out of the blue, our car swerved off of the road and started spinning all across the freeway.  Nate, Nanette, and I all weren't sure what happened but we were all yelling to slow the car down when in fact, Mike had no control over how the car was going.  We spun across the entire free-way twice and then we started heading towards the barriers on the free-way.  I thought we were all dead by this point.  I can tell you that there was nothing scarier than literally seeing your life flash before your eyes, wondering if you will make it out alive once you hit it.  We hit the barrier, I hit my head on the dashboard and because of all the impact instantly, all of the airbags in the car blew and we landed on top of the barrier.  It felt like the car was going to fall on its side or that it was going to flip completely.  The car started to tip and by some miracle, it landed flat on the ground.

When the car stopped, there was smoke from the airbags and all of us were in complete shock.  People on the freeway stopped their cars and helped us get out of the car and wanted to make sure everybody was okay.  How the whole incident happened, was we got pushed off of the road by another car that wasn't paying attention.  We are so grateful the Mike was driving. The cops told us later that he drove very well with the given circumstance and if he hadn't of done what he did we don't know if some of us would be more severely injured or even killed.  Mike saved our lives and we are so eternally grateful.  Mike helped us all stay calm while Nanette, Nate, and myself were in tears and extremely scared.  We have amazing parents.  They were there for us even a few states away and were doing all they could to keep us safe and get us home.

The police and fireman were so nice and helped us take car of the situation as smoothly and quickly as possible.  The car was towed and the tow truck man took us to a Greyhound bus stop where our parents had arranged for us to take a bus home.  Still being in shock, exhausted from the sun and such we headed to find water and a place to sit. Mike went and got us all drinks and we all sat down and needed sometime to calm down.  After awhile we needed to get tickets printed and get food in our stomach for an even longer night ahead of us than we had expected to have.

  We all had bruises, but Mike had to most injuries with bruises on his arms, shoulders, and all over his hands as well as some cuts.  Nanette and Nate had bruises on their necks from the seatbelts and mine was on my arm as well as my hips. 

At 6:20pm, our bus boarded and we were off to Vegas.  It wasn't as terrible as we were expecting.  We had leather seats, wifi, outlets, and we all got to sit by each other which was what mattered most to us.  We all tried to sleep as much as we could and about 4 hours later we arrived in Las Vegas, Nevada.  We had to change buses at this point and it was a pain because we had to weigh all of our bags, get tickets to put on them and such. It felt like an airport system but for buses.  The line for our next bus was HUGE and we were worried that for the next 7 1/2 hours that we would be separated.  Nate and Nanette found seats next to each other but Mike and I weren't so lucky.  While we were trying to figure out what to do, a nice man gave up his seat so that Mike and I could sit together.  You'd be surprised with people how nice they can be even with how they may appear to be on the outside.  We were so grateful towards him.

Provo, UT 7 1/2 hours away.  We just wanted to get home.  We arrived in Provo this morning at 5:25am and I will tell you that nothing was better than walking off the bus and going to hug my mom.  Before the accident, I realized that I don't tell my family I love them enough and how I took a simple hug for granted and during the car accident, I didn't know if I was going to be able to do those things again.  Angels were definitely watching over us and kept us safe.  Seatbelts, and Prayer are something I will never take for granted again.  We had so many people calling us and texting us to show their love and support, we are all grateful for that.

So glad to be home, to be safe, and to have been greatly blessed this weekend.  An experience we will never forgot but so many good lessons learned.  


  1. We love you guys! Thank you Michael for keeping your cool and taking care of those under your watch, that's extra double chocolate fudge cookies for you from me. I am thankful that everyone had their belts on. I know of a similar story that had the opposite ending . I am so grateful that our Utah ballroom family didn't loose any of you amazing people.

  2. Sweetheart! I am so grateful that you are all okay and that you can walk away from a story like this. And now you have an even greater testimony of the power of prayer ;) Love you!

  3. Wow, that is one amazing trip home; you guys were definitely watched over! McShinsky boys are good drivers. Stan wanted to come and pick you guys up, but the bus was much quicker :) Your pictures of the olympics are amazing. Stan and I LOVE them! I really like your blog post of a bunch of them.